As most of us are reflecting on our year and thinking about our most memorable moments, I did the same for Disney Cruise Line. It was a pretty exciting year for us, and there are five things that stood out to me the most …
- Awards include Top Mega-Ship Cruise Line and No. 1 Large Ship Line. For the sixth year in a row, we were recognized as a top cruise line for families in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards. As if that honor isn’t wonderful enough, we also received the publication’s Top Mega-Ship Cruise Line award for the first time. What’s more, readers of Condé Nast Traveler voted us #1 Large Ship Line in the 2014 Readers’ Choice Awards, based on more than 1 million votes.
- Holiday celebrations are more magical than ever. Not only did our Halloween on the High Seas voyages expand to all four ships, we also premiered brand-new events on our Very Merrytime Cruises. On almost every sailing from early September through the end of the year, cruisers enjoyed a ship decked out with decor and filled with extra special fun themed to the holidays.
- Inaugural season from Puerto Rico kicks off with Southern Caribbean voyages. Our cruises sailing from Puerto Rico brought three more firsts for us this year: San Juan as a homeport, the Southern Caribbean as an itinerary option and Grenada as a new port of call. These four special cruises were just the beginning of our time in San Juan, as we recently announced we’ll be home porting from there again in 2016.
- The Castaway Cay Challenge is announced as an add-on to the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. We teamed up with runDisney to offer this exclusive experience just for runners competing in the 5K, 10K, half marathon and/or full marathon during the Disney Marathon Weekend in January 2015. The Castaway Cay Challenge takes place during the 4-night Disney Dream cruise that sets sail January 12, 2015.
- The land of “Frozen” is revealed as a new destination in 2015. In summer, we’ll explore Norway for the first time, cruising through the breathtaking Norwegian fjords, in addition to other spectacular northern Europe destinations including Iceland, Denmark, Russia, Sweden, Finland and more. We’re also returning to the Mediterranean, Alaska, Hawaii, the Mexican Riviera and of course, the Caribbean and Bahamas.
Five Most Memorable Moments for Disney Cruise Line in 2014 by Jonathan Frontado: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog