It’s “just a salad” on the menu, but the Roasted Vegetable and Whole-Grain Salad at Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland park is really a complete meal: deliciously sweet roasted veggies, protein-packed spelt and barley, fresh greens and a drizzle of basil vinaigrette make this a hearty lunch or supper.
Chef Craig Orrell shows how it’s done – give yourself plenty of time to chop and roast the zucchini, yellow squash, onion and red peppers. And throw in some cloves of garlic to roast for the vinaigrette. It’s the sort of prep you can do on a Sunday night and enjoy this salad more than once throughout a busy week.
Roasted Vegetable and Whole-Grain Salad – Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe at Disneyland Park
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup spelt
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small heart of romaine, chopped
- 1/2 small head iceberg, cored and chopped
- 14-ounce bag spring lettuce mix
For basil vinaigrette:
- Place basil, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- With processor running, slowly stream in oil, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides. Process until well combined. Remove from blender and set aside.
For whole grains:
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a large pot. Stir in barley and spelt; reduce heat to low, cover and cook 1 hour, or until grains are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and drain in colander. Toss with half of vinaigrette in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut zucchini, bell pepper, squash, and onion into 2-inch pieces. Toss with oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on baking sheets and roast 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- To serve, toss lettuces with remaining vinaigrette. Top with grains and roasted vegetables.
Chef’s note: To make roasted garlic for vinaigrette, preheat oven to 400°F. Peel away outer layers of garlic skin, leaving cloves intact. Using a knife cut off 1/4- to 1/2-inch of top of cloves, exposing individual cloves of garlic. Rub head of garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, wrap in foil and roast until garlic is soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Squeeze roasted garlic from skins.
Meal in a Bowl From Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland Park by Pam Brandon: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog