A big shout out to all of you grandparents who add so much happiness to your family’s lives! Yesterday we celebrated a very special holiday – National Grandparents Day – and to keep the fun going, today’s post is dedicated to you.
Most grandparents will tell you that part of the joy of having grandkids is loving on them with special treats and experiences. We see that all the time with grandparents who bring their families on vacation with us. If you’re the grandparent (or great-grandparent) of little cruisers, here are five ways to spoil them on your next Disney cruise …
1. Join them for playtime: Quality time is the number one gift you can give your loved ones, and if you’re already on vacation with them, chances are you know that! Look for ways you can spend time together doing things your grandkids will enjoy, like playing in our elaborately themed youth clubs. Open House is the perfect opportunity for you to join their world, whether they’re into superheroes, fanciful fairies, intergalactic spaceships or seafaring treasure hunts.
2. Give them a magical makeover. Both little girls and boys love to play dress up, especially when it transforms them into royalty or a swashbuckling pirate. At Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, you can give your grandkids the full fairytale treatment with pixie-dusted new looks. Even you can get into the fun at this very special salon on Pirate Night when it becomes The Pirates League. What a great bonding opportunity… A young and young-at-heart pirate duo ready to “argh” the evening away!
3. Treat them like a prince or princess. Living in a fairytale world is easy on a Disney cruise, especially with special experiences that celebrate the “royal” in everyone. Give your grandkids the royal treatment by escorting them to the princess gathering in the atrium lobby or taking their photo while they pose with Queen Elsa and Princess Anna during our exclusive Frozen meet-and-greet. On the Disney Fantasy, hosting them at the Royal Court Royal Tea is an unforgettable way to show your first-class affection.
4. Teach them how to explore the world. Port Adventures make it easy for families to have fun together in the destinations we visit. You’re already setting a good example by showing them the importance of exploring the world; now let us show you the best ways to experience other lands and cultures through immersive Port Adventures. Give your grandkids a voice in choosing which excursions the family will do together in port to spark their interest in learning about the places you’re visiting.
5. Leave them with a memento. It’s fun for cruisers of any age to look back at a keepsake and remember all the fun had on vacation. Browse the merchandise stores onboard and at Castaway Cay for that perfect gift you can give your grandkids after the cruise. Better yet, let them pick out a favorite item that will remind them of the things you did together. And be sure to get something for yourself, as it will no doubt be a vacation you’ll never want to forget!
Grandparents, I want to hear from you! What are the things you like to do with your grandkids on a Disney cruise? Or what are you looking forward to most on your first voyage with them?
Top Five Ways to Spoil Your Grandkids on a Disney Cruise by Jonathan Frontado: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog